More Fall Patients Admitted and Some Recent Releases

We continue to admit lots of patients this week and have some good news updates today and photos of releases within the past few days as well. 
Last night we admitted Bald Eagle #691-16. He is a young male from the Sauk City area. Our thanks to Jeb Barzen and Gene Unger for rescuing him and then transporting him to REGI last night. We are delighted to say our new patient does not have lead poisoning. He was dazed, standing in a pasture and allowed people to pick him up. He is not starving, so we will be looking for a diagnosis today. He was very dehydrated which can point to kidney problems, but at this point we are not sure. I will say it was great to admit a Bald Eagle that did not have lead poisoning.

Sauk City Eagle

Our Bald Eagle updates are mostly going in the right direction.
Bald Eagle #686, from Wittenberg, WI and the most critical Bald Eagle patient with high levels of blood lead and bleeding on admission is improving. She is standing on her own now which is a big improvement. We will be testing her blood again in a few days after she finishes the current cycle of chelation for lead poisoning. She is not eating on her own yet and it being tube fed only at this time. She is a fighter and we are pulling for her to have another chance at life in the wild.

Wittenberg Eagle

Bald Eagle #679, also from Wittenberg, WI had a bit of a set back and developed some respiratory symptoms. She is on antibiotics now and is now improving. She is eating on her own but also is tube fed. We continue to be concerned with her depth perception. Her vision has improved for the most part but any vision issues in Bald Eagles are serious.

Bald Eagle # 677, from Crandon is currently on his second round of chelation injections for the extremely high levels of lead in his blood. He has some neurological symptoms, which are one of the affects lead has on a patient no matter if is a human or an eagle. We are working hard to turn him around. Once he is stable enough for surgery we will attempt to remove the lead fragments from his wing where he was shot. Normally is a pellet or fragment is in the soft tissue the body walls it off through scar tissue and it is not a lifelong problem, but these fragments are in the bone and that is more serious. Keep him and all of our patients in your thoughts as they struggle to recover.

Crandon Eagle

The immature Northern Goshawk admitted about 10 days ago toxic from possible rodent poisoning recovered well and was released yesterday. So good to see them leave with renewed vigor and determination.

Goshawk & Audrey

Our female Northern Harrier is doing great. She will be with us through a molt to deal with her feather damage, but her attitude is good as is her appetite. We love their amazing owl like face and special adaptations like their long legs useful for rodent hunting in deep grasses. Sadly, we did lose a male Harrier to rodent poisoning last week. He was only with us an hour before he passed.

Northern Harrier

A Ruffed Grouse had a very bad day on Tuesday. He hit a window and then as he was still stunned the family dog grabbed him. He has some bites and feather loss which means he will be with us until new feathers come in, but a terrific family brought him to us for car. The young boy cared so much he sent along an envelope with a donation to help the grouse get better. Children are our future. We so love when we see both compassion and
a sense of responsibility.

We admitted 2 interesting Red-tailed Hawk cases. One was hit by a truck and ended up behind the grill. The family assumed he was dead so continued driving until they got home when they realized he was very much alive. They called REGI and after lots of help from both tools and people he was extricated. I will post photos of when he was still in the grill soon. Actually this scenario happens more than people think. The hawk is a beautiful adult male and other than being sore and maybe a few rib fractures he is right as rain. He is eating on his own and will be headed into an outdoor flight soon. The second Red-tailed Hawk, a small male, was found on a roadside. The woman that rescued him wasn't even sure what he was, but knew he needed help. She went above and beyond to make sure he got that help when she followed him into a swamp, caught him and then transported him to REGI. Sometimes people make our day by caring and then acting to make a difference in an animal’s life.


We've admitted several passerines as well. A Dark-eyed Junco just recently arrived in Wisconsin from his breeding grounds in the far north, promptly hit a window, injured his eye and had a bad headache. Thanks Michelle for scooping him up as it was becoming dark and bringing him to REGI. He was elated to be free again when he was released yesterday.